Our Interview Process
EAST SCITT select applicants for interview using both academic and non-academic criteria.
Candidates invited to a recruitment & selection day will participate in the following process:
- An interview with a panel typically comprised of the EAST SCITT Director and/or our Primary Programme Leader / Secondary Programme Leader and a subject specialist for secondary programmes
- A written reflective subject task (for secondary applicants)
A teaching task - an opportunity for the candidate to deliver a 15 to 20 minute session to a small group of pupils, a topic of their choice within the subject they wish to train to teach(for secondary applicants)
- A literacy task - for example: reading a story to a small group of pupils ( for primary applicants)
- A written reflective task ( for primary applicants)
Any change to the interview process will be clearly explained in the letter which invites applicants to interview.
Please note: Our Recruitment and Selection Days are subject to the government’s restrictions in respect to Coronavirus. Up to date information will be provided on registering your interest to attend.
Once the Recruitment and Selection day has been completed, EAST SCITT will decide whether or not to offer candidates a place.
We are looking for:
- Your desire and motivation to teach
- Your enthusiasm for the subject/phase to which you are applying
- Your resilience
- Effective interpersonal skills, such as excellent communication skills, a sense of humour, being part of a team
- Your ability to consider and assess your own strengths and weaknesses for future self-development.
Throughout this process, the emphasis is placed on generating a pleasant, informal, and welcoming atmosphere in which candidates are able to gain as much information about the programme as they require in order to accept a place if it is offered subsequently.
It is essential that all applicants bring the following items to interview:
- Photographic identification (either your driver’s licence or passport)
- Your original GCSE certificates (or certified statements of results) for English and Mathematics
- Your original degree certificate.
After the interview: Decisions about the offer of places are made very soon after the interviews and the outcomes communicated through the Apply system. Unsuccessful candidates are offered feedback on their performance.