What We Are Looking For
Every teacher is an individual and every teacher shapes a life.
We are seeking your uniqueness and how you can develop to become the teacher you strive to be. The information below will give you a good indication of what we are looking for.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A UK degree or recognised international equivalent (applicants with non-UK degrees must ensure that they have obtained the relevant equivalency statement from ECCTIS - formerly known as NARIC)
- GCSE English and Maths grade 4 (formerly C) or the standard required is equivalent to grade 4 (formerly C). Evidence of equivalence will be required
- For primary applicants also GCSE Science grade 4 (formerly C) or the standard required is equivalent to grade 4 (formerly C). Evidence of equivalence will be required.
- Time spent in a school environment developing understanding of teaching and learning
- 2:1 or above in a relevant degree
- A level grade C or above or equivalent in relevant subject.
If your qualifications were not gained in the UK, you can visit the ECCTIS website to find out whether your qualifications are considered to be equivalent to UK GCSEs and degrees. Please note that the onus is on you to prove that your qualifications are equivalent and you must include an ECCTIS (formerly known as NARIC) statement with your application verifying this.
- Enthusiastic and committed
- Humility, respect and empathy
- High expectations of self, students and colleagues and a belief that progress is always possible
Analytical and reflective in order to improve
- A sense of humour and a sense of purpose.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Resilience and adaptability
- Ability to rapidly establish and maintain professional working relationships with students and adults
- Self awareness
- Ability to work in a team
- Confidence to lead learning and the work of others
- Evidence of creative thinking and appropriate risk taking to solve problems
- Excellent skills in communication, time-management, planning and organisation
- A positive and engaging presence.
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING:
- Strong literacy and numeracy skills
- Potential to develop strong subject knowledge for teaching
- Awareness of what makes an effective learning environment for all students.
FUNDAMENTAIL ENGLISH AND MATHS SKILLS
All teachers need to be able to demonstrate secure fundamental skills in English and Maths. These will be assessed during the recruitment process and monitored as part of the training programme. If these skills need developing, we will inform you and support you wherever possible.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
The Disclosure and Barring Service is a condition of all ITT programmes that trainees must have a satisfactory enhanced DBS check before commencing training. Arrangements for completing DBS check applications will be explained as part of the selection and induction process.
For information on the selection criteria please see Our Interview Process