What We Are Looking For
Every teacher is an individual and every teacher shapes a life.
We are seeking your uniqueness and how you can develop to become the teacher you strive to be. The information below will give you a good indication of what we are looking for.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A UK degree or recognised international equivalent (applicants with non-UK degrees must ensure that they have obtained the relevant equivalency statement from NARIC)
- GCSE English and Maths grade 4 (formerly C) or the standard required is equivalent to grade 4 (formerly C). Evidence of equivalence will be required
- For primary applicants also GCSE Science grade 4 (formerly C) or the standard required is equivalent to grade 4 (formerly C). Evidence of equivalence will be required.
- Time spent in a school environment developing understanding of teaching and learning
- 2:1 or above in a relevant degree
- A level grade C or above or equivalent in relevant subject.
If your qualifications were not gained in the UK, you can visit the National Academic Register Centre (NARIC) website to find out whether your qualifications are considered to be equivalent to UK GCSEs and degrees. Please note that the onus is on you to prove that your qualifications are equivalent and you must include a NARIC statement with your application verifying this.
- Enthusiastic and committed
- Humility, respect and empathy
- Analytical and reflective in order to improve
- High expectations of self, students and colleagues and a belief that progress is always possible
- A sense of humour and a sense of purpose.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Resilience and adaptability
- Ability to rapidly establish and maintain professional working relationships with students and adults
- Ability to work in a team
- Confidence to lead learning and the work of others
- Evidence of creative thinking and appropriate risk taking to solve problems
- Excellent skills in communication, time-management, planning and organisation
- A positive and engaging presence.
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING:
- Strong literacy and numeracy skills
- Potential to develop strong subject knowledge for teaching
- Awareness of what makes an effective learning environment for all students.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
The Disclosure and Barring Service has taken the place of the CRB check and it is a condition of all ITT programmes that trainees must have a satisfactory enhanced DBS check before commencing training. Arrangements for completing DBS check applications will be explained as part of the selection and induction process.
For information on the selection criteria please see Our Interview Process